View Single Post
Old April 21, 2017, 07:42 AM   #40
ferrarif1fan

I am a big advocate of carrying with a round chambered. But at the same time, I think it's important to consider what actions are required to fire the weapon if it's to be considered for concealed carry.

If you are carrying outside the waist band, then a 938 or any 1911 is probably going to be fine to be carried cocked and locked. But I think carrying cocked and locked inside a pocket or inside the waist band is a recipe for disaster.

Regardless of how strong and positively the safety lever engages in the safe position, there is always the possibility of it being bumped off. Once it is off, the weapon isn't far from a negligent discharge if something gets inside the trigger guard.

I've always carried SA/DA pistols with a round chambered, hammer down. It takes a long, hard deliberate pull of the trigger for these pistols to fire. Could they still be accidentally discharged? Sure, anything is possible. But I think the probability is much lower than with a cocked and locked pistol.

Take a 1911 style pistol in cocked and locked, with a round chambered and set it next to a SA/DA pistol with a round chambered and the hammer down and ask yourself which is closer to being able to fire as it sets. It's going to be the one with the hammer back. I think it's worth thinking about that if you're going to use the pistol for concealed carry. I carry my CCW pistol appendix, IWB. Not a place for a pistol that has any probability for an accidental discharge.

Page generated in 0.03514 seconds with 8 queries