View Single Post
Old October 28, 2018, 09:41 AM   #8
hounddawg

Update on the rimfire practice

First off rimfire can be addicting. Upgraded my CZ Americans stock and trigger then added a Picatinny rail adapter so I can fit big boy scopes to it. Also fitting out my bone stock CZ Lux with a scope so I can participate in the 25 yard scoped and iron sight contests over at rimfire central CZ forums. Now one range day a week devoted to centerfire and one day for rimfire. Being retired is good

Great practice with the wind flags. This is teaching me how to look for cycles in the wind and patience to wait for the right condition for firing. Before starting to shoot now I will watch the flags for ten minutes or so and time the various cycles and patterns

I pretty sure this will give my my F class scores a nudge. I am topping out in the low to mid 190's in the mid range and low 190's long range. The rifles and ammo are doing their part, my wind and mirage reading is causing me to drop points.

The Amazon two for twenty five tripods are excellent. Can't say how stable they would be on a northwest prairie with 20 - 30 mph wind but so far the flags are sensitive enough to spin and give tail flutter in less than one mph winds and the tails go straight out at around ten. I was getting some 15 mph gusts the other day and so far no tip overs. I am thinking of making at least 1 and probably 2 more for the 200 yard practice.

I find it fascinating to watch the wind come in from my right, hit the treeline and come back across. The 20 yard flag's tail straight out to the left, no wind indication at all on the 50 yard flag with its tail straight down and the 75 yard will be showing the bounce off the trees and the wind coming back left to right.

Last edited by hounddawg; October 28, 2018 at 09:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.03345 seconds with 8 queries