View Single Post
Old July 10, 2020, 11:33 AM   #49
kilotanker22

Personally I have no intention of ever buying anything with more than 18x magnification again. I wouldn't rule it out, but time and time again I find myself dialing my magnification back to either 12x or 18x. On multiple optics.

On a good hot day, or a cold day with snow on the ground. I have no trouble seeing Mirage at 24x through my Vortex Viper HST. Sometimes I still have to reduce to 12 power, because of the heat coming from the barrel.

If I was going to use a fixed power on a bolt gun, it would probably be a 12x of some sort. I believe that 12x is sufficient to engage man sized targets at 1000 yards pretty easily. If you were shooting small animals like a ground hog past 500 yards or so you might want more.

I think the reason that a lot of people like really high magnification is so they can spot their bullet holes in paper at several hundred yards. With my Vortex I can normally see my bullet holes at 300 yards on 18x. Depending on the color of the paper I am shooting at. If using the shootNsee targets, I can see the impacts at 600 yards with 18 power.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Page generated in 0.03547 seconds with 8 queries