View Single Post
Old May 12, 2016, 09:54 AM   #39
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Its a risk to reward scenario for me. There is only an extremely remote chance of ever actually having to deploy my primary concealed carry weapon. However I have decided, in my mind, that there are scenarios where I would not only successfully deploy by carry weapon but I would also alter the situation in a way that would result in a favorable outcome. This is adequate reward to deal with the issues associated with carrying a concealed weapon.

The risk to carrying a second weapon is slightly higher than what you are indicated. I have a limited time to train with my primary weapon. I am not so proficient with it that additional training time would not result in additional proficiency. Thus any time I would devote to training with a back-up weapon would actually take away from my proficiency (or future proficiency) with a primary weapon.

Further virtually all of my retention training and practice involve a firearm carried strong side. I'm very competent at assuring my strong side firearm stays where it is supposed to be. Arm placement in crowds or when passing people has become second nature. This would not be so with a BUG.

If my primary weapon fails I cannot envision a scenario where I am unable to remedy the failure BUT can manage to draw and employ my back-up weapon. In that case I am already likely resorting to tactics that do not require a gun - even if they are desperate.

I don't have the training or ability to stare down and overcome remarkable odds. Two or three determined individuals are likely to overcome what defenses I can offer. Having a second gun is not going to remedy that.

Think of the things that have gone wrong:

1) I have failed to assess and remove myself and family from the situation
2) At the first sign of trouble I have attempted to and failed to retreat - I am now in a position where safe retreat is not possible
3) I have failed to appease my attackers demands with any material goods they think I have
4) My attackers are actively engaged in violent aggression
5) I have failed to dissuade my attackers with presentation and subsequent use of a firearm. Further this has also not remedied my inability to retreat

At this time my attackers are both formidable and committed. For my gun to fail in a way I could not remedy would require contact distance like coming out of battery as you suggest (I have never had a non-induced failure on my firearm - failure induced my including snap caps in the magazine for practice). My hopes have gone down to a lack of determination by my attacker or an ability to physically overcome him. I just do not see where I would be able to draw and employ a back-up firearm at this point. I do see where practicing with a back-up firearm rather than my primary weapon could result in this situation arising more rapidly.

That's fair, very fair. Gave me a few things to consider and some things to possibly work on. Thank you for that.

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries