View Single Post
Old December 8, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Dino.

Quote:
I recently got one of the Uramex/Colt/Walther 1911 .22lrs. I got the government model for $389 OTD. Seems well made. Fit and finish is good. I bought it for a fun range plinker. I wanted a 22lr in the 1911 format and I chose this over the others because (Chiappa and clones had bad reviews, cheaply made, and remington was too small and expensive.)

Some of the advantages (IMHO) over the GSG/Sig
12 round mag
no magazine disconnect
fixed barrel
no allen wrench needed for takedown (takedown very easy)

If I understand the company relationships on this one it is made by Walther for Colt and imported by Umarex. (at least that is what it says on the gun).
Congratulations on the purchase of your Colt 1911-22!
Those grips look really nice too!

I just purchased the Sig 1911-22 (made by GSG).
My decision to go with the Sig over the Colt or GSG brand were as follows ...

* I own a Walther P22 and saw many similarities in the way the Colt 1911-22 is designed, from the fixed barrel, breech block assembly, down to the magazine. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, but it was somewhat disappointing for me to see that a gun branded as a "Colt" 1911 that wasn't even close to being true to the design (my opinion).

* Though Colt has the advantage of magazine capacity, I feel GSG/Sig magazines are more beefy in design vs. the stamped sheetmetal mags provided with the Colt. After market followers are also available to convert the GSG/Sig 10-round magazines to 14-rounds.

* 80% of the parts that make up the Sig/GSG 1911-22 are interchangable with standard 1911 parts, and the design is more true to the .45 caliber 1911 design, IMO.

* Sig/GSG does in fact have a fixed barrel, it's just designed a little different.
It's fixed by 2 pins and the allen screw. There is no barrel link.

As for why I chose the Sig over the GSG ... it was purely cosmetic.
I liked the olive drab green finish and walnut grips, which GSG doesn't offer.
Hopefully, I can get out this weekend and do some shooting!

Page generated in 0.03163 seconds with 8 queries