View Single Post
Old September 20, 2010, 12:23 AM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Just a thought experiment: let's say we're there. The balloon has gone up. People are debarking their chihuahuas. Who do you think is going to be donning the knee-high boots and kicking down doors?

It's sure as heck not the sheriff's deputy living two doors down, nor is it the Kaperski's boy who just got back from Iraq. In fact, I'd be willing to lay odds that those guys would be the first to jump in my corner. That's the great thing about a voluntary military: they're us.

I suppose the government could dredge up, hire and outfit some truly dreadful people to carry out whatever kind of oppression they've got in mind, but those types of people are going to be in for a very unpleasant surprise when they try to pull the Kaperskis out of their house in the night. You can bet that just enough folks in the neighborhood won't be too keen on that, either.

We're not there. I doubt we'll ever see it. For one thing, an armed populace is a good psychological deterrent. The possibility of armed dissent, no matter how small, will occur to the people inclined to give such orders. Furthermore, they'll quickly find a military (composed of our neighbors, teachers, doctors and family) largely unwilling to act on such orders.
I agree with this to a point, but it's an easy thing to say while not under duress. I believe you forget the inclination of people to protect themselves and their loved ones.

For example:

As a loyal member of the "evil" government forces (not specific, just a hypothetical government), your family will receive protection and better rations, treatment, etc. than those opposed. If you refuse to round up civilians (or whatever) you and your family will be sent to the same detention camps.

Taking it one step further, if you refuse to fire on these people, we'll shoot you...

If you know your refusal to act will send your wife and kids to the Gulag, it becomes much easier to participate in whatever is going on...

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" makes a good bumper sticker, but I wonder how many are willing to sacrifice their families to make that statement.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying that mass civil disobedience sounds like a great idea, until you actually have to make people put their lives, family, and property where their mouth is...

Page generated in 0.03816 seconds with 8 queries