View Single Post
Old January 10, 2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Reloadron

cw 308:
Quote:
I will ask again , when you buy a rifle that shoots store bought ammo and you get into reloading , why would you have to cam over your cases ? I never had to.
Using 308 Winchester as an example. I full length resize and have several sets of dies but since I may use the loaded ammunition in any of 4 rifles including 2 semi-auto and two bolt guns I make it all the same so what I load will shoot fine in any of my rifles. I also do not run my dies down that extra 1/8th to 1/4 turn. Simply because I never had a need to. I get my case head to shoulder datum at 1.630" and that is all I need.

Now as to Glen Zediker's article that is how I do it simply because it works fine for me and my brass.

Enter Chuck Hawks another pretty well known gun writer and his article How to Adjust Reloading Dies By Chuck Hawks. Hawks tells you straight up he is parroting RCBS loading die instructions which he is. He reads in part:
"Here is how to adjust the resizing die to full length resize cases. First, run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed. Second, screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder. Third, all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases".

Standard loading dies have a 7/8 - 14 thread so at 14 Threads Per Inch each full turn of the die is 1/14 inch or 0.0714" and 1/4 turn would be about 0.0179". Unclenick has published some pretty neat templates which can be printed out and he might provide that link again. Also, JMorris has demonstrated a neat fixture to measure die travel. The numbers I just used are approximate as they do not account for any backlash in the threads.

Anyway, all interesting but what it comes down to is Zediker uses one method, all well defined and explained and Hawks uses another method also well defined based on RCBS die instructions. Me? I know where I want my cases to be and I take that road and when both roads get me there I take the road of least resistance.

Ron

Page generated in 0.03255 seconds with 8 queries