View Single Post
Old March 31, 2018, 01:34 AM   #93
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
...I would assume that is because people are focusing on the gun in the persons hand and shooting where they are looking...
A few weeks ago I attended a class in self defense law put on by Andrew Branca. He offers an option at the end of the day to participate in some simulator exercises.

There's a computer generated scenario. The student has a laser pistol (which looks like a Glock). If the gun is fired the computer records the hits and time. But the purpose of the exercise is to test decision making. Not every scenario involves a lethal threat, and shooting will not always be the best response.

On the other hand, some scenarios involve a very rapidly unfolding lethal threat. To survive one needs to very quickly evaluate the situation, identify the appropriateness of a lethal force response, and effectively respond with lethal force. The result of a failure to act decisively would be highly unsatisfactory for the defender.

That sets the stage.

I'm walking to my car in a parking lot. I'm suddenly confronted by a scruffy person loudly demanding my car keys. I observed a gun tucked into his waistband and immediately began deploying my gun (we weren't using holsters so held the gun in our hand at our side).

I observed the assailant begin to reach for his gun. I brought my gun immediately on target. I was very aware of the front sight and my gun indexed on his center of mass. I fired two shots (a "hammer" in Gunsite jargon, i. e., two shots on one sight picture) and the simulation stops.

My first shot hit his gun squarely. His gun was coming up but still a bit below his shoulders roughly at the upper center of his chest. My second shot was well centered at the base of his neck.

So I neutralized the threat. Also, apparently I keyed on the gun which was at the time roughly in the center of mass.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries