View Single Post
Old April 4, 2018, 11:56 AM   #30
JeepHammer

Ruger M77 mKII is an excellent rifle all the way around.
It's stupid simple, solid as any non-combat rifle ever made and an excellent exercise in weight vs strength.
The trigger is stupid simple to tune, and not much else needs work from the factory.

The .270 round has been around forever & has a BUNCH of options, many people consider it the finest large, non-dangerous game getter ever made.
It's an excellent whitetail round!

The .270 round is big enough to bust bone to get to vitals, and carry enough energy to finish the job when it gets there.
This is NOT a dangerous game round, it doesn't have the brute knock down power.
(That kind of power would blow through whitetail sized animals, no sense in tearing up the animal if you aren't hunting in grizzly country)

The only issue I have with Ruger is some of the wood they use is too good to beat around in the rocks!
Good thing there are reasonably priced synthetic stocks available so good wood doesn't meet 'Mr. Rocks'...

I hunt with .30-06 most times, my buddy is left handed and shoots .270 and he's not had to chase deer very often. With pinpoint accuracy & the knock down power of the .270 round it's pretty often a drop on the spot thing.
He also can get solid hits I won't try with .30-06, his ballistics are simply better.
(I'm not chasing, if I can't drop it I don't shoot)

Last edited by JeepHammer; April 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.02448 seconds with 8 queries