View Single Post
Old February 6, 2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

50's/60's for me. First hunted rabbits with my dad. Maybe 8 or 10 years old. A young kid learned quick how not to hold his old Winchester '97 pump. That bolt coming back to cock the exposed hammer sure could take a gouge out of the web of a small hand. First, around 9 or 10 my grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 74 22 autoloader. Mom thought it not best for me to start out with that "automatic" rifle. So Dad kept it, and bought me a Marlin 101 single shot. Still have both today, and occasionally take them to the range.
My first shotgun was a Stevens 59. Tube fed, bolt action 410. The old line of thought, that a kid should start with a 410 didn't really work well. Combined with my dad's belief, and lack of knowledge about the 410 bore leading him to get me one with a modified choke. Not the best for Taking tough old Fox Squirrels out of the tops of tall Missouri oaks, and hickorys. The old Stevens, and the Stevens 16ga. 311 double have long been gone from my possession. But in my senior years of reliving my youth I have found equal replacements for my accumulation. Along with subsequent lost additions to my firearms learning curve. Particularly a Winchester Model 50 12 guage, and an example of my first centerfire, and deer rifle in the form of an Enfield No.5 Mk4 Jungle Carbine. But of course replacing the originals at a cost a lot higher than what I got for the originals.
On of my earliest guns, and my first handgun which is certa still with me is a High Standard HD Military. Again, compliments of Grandpa to the mild objections of Mom.
Just a snapshot of my 60+ affection for firearms, shooting, hunting, and handloading.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Page generated in 0.02162 seconds with 8 queries