View Single Post
Old February 5, 2019, 10:02 PM   #5
reteach

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. By the time I was 10, we had a "city" address but a couple of buddies and I could walk about 1/4 mile to an old growth forest that seemed to go forever. We hunted whatever a kid could hunt with a .22 rifle - mostly squirrels and coyotes. The county agent would pay $10 for a set of coyote ears. That was big money in those days. I had a Mossberg Model 46. Don't remember what the other guys carried. I remember a kid coming to school in 5th grade with a Ruger Single Six in a cowboy holster. It was Rodeo Day and we all dressed as cowboys or cowgirls. This guy wouldn't let any of us touch the Ruger, but he wore it all day. He did fancy rope spinning between classes and at recess. No problems from kids or adults. I remember going to high school with a rifle or shotgun, depending on the season, in the car, and plenty of them visible in pickup windows. There was a teacher who sponsored a hunting club, so sometimes we would take the guns into his classroom, meet after school, and do some light 'smithing and cleaning.

Let's hear from some people who grew up more recently and could still do the things us old codgers did.

Page generated in 0.03052 seconds with 8 queries