View Single Post
Old May 11, 2017, 03:35 PM   #44
PlatinumCore16

I do not have any experience with killing deer with either the 30-30 or the x39mm. However I would submit that I think that the shape of the bullet, not just JHP vs. FMJ matters as well. The 30-30 was a lever rifle that used a non-pointed bullet as opposed to the x39mm which would've been firing a soft point bullet or a hollow point (which actually doesn't act like a scoop if you look at the aerodynamics) which would be closer to a spitzer shape. Now does that make a lot of difference, idk I'd actually have to take it to paper, but I would venture a guess that the 30-30 and the x39mm are closer than a lot of people here are guessing.

Granted this directly affects velocity, so looking on paper (7.62 source 30-30 source), the 30-30 has over 800ft-lbs (energy source) out past 200yds whilst the 7.62 has that just under 200yds. However the flat nosed bullet vs. the less aerodynamic bullet *could* result in better accuracy from the more aerodynamic bullet.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's more to it than just the energy, the rifle, or the shooter. But I think you've got enough information to say that both the 30-30 and 7.62x39mm are humane to kill a deer out to at least 150yds. Beyond that, well it would appear that YMMV.

Page generated in 0.02360 seconds with 8 queries