View Single Post
Old April 1, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
SL1

I don't have the time to run QuickLOAD right now, but I will do that for you, later.

My experience tells me that reducing the powder space and adjusting the charge weight to get the same velocity will probably give you somewhat higher peak pressures, but I don't know if it is enough higer to matter.

On the other hand, reducing the powder charge to give you the same percentage of fill of the powder space will probably give you somewhat lower velocity and about the same peak pressure (maybe a tad lower pressure).

When I get a chance, I will run some examples.

The magnitudes of the changes will depend on the powder being used, with relatively fast powders (for the particular applicatioin) making bigger differences. So, it would be best if you also told us what powder(s) and bullets you are thinking about using and comparing.

Also, it is important to point out (to others) that you need to use a chronograph (as you said that you are) to measure the velocities from YOUR gun, using both your handloads with the same components as the published data and your handloads with the substituted component(s). Trying to duplicate the PUBLISHED velocities with handloads in your gun that do not match the components used in the published data is a high-probability way to get into trouble.

SL1

Page generated in 0.02576 seconds with 8 queries