View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Kimio

The handguards them selves are two pieces, and will not be glued to the rifle itself.

The problem I keep encountering and what many keep saying that makes this job "impossible" is that the wood is too thin and won't hold up to a beating (such as falling from a table). The bi-pod cuts creates a hole through the wood that would require shaping to fill and a hard snap of the steel bipods could instantly fracture the wood.

I want to try and find a way to do this, there has to be a way to make the wooden hand guards a viable choice. I am trying to go a different route here by modifying the lower portions of the hand guards so that they may be mated to the halves of the wooden handguards (which are removable).

To answer your question anothernewb, I want this bond to be permanent and strong. I'm trying to find something that can also be used to reinforce the wooden portions of the handguards themselves without adding too much thickness.

It's a pain in the ass and everywhere I go I seem to get naysayers sadly. Some stating that the constant heat treatment of the wood from the barrel heating up will spell the demise of the hand guards eventually.

Last edited by Kimio; November 28, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries