View Single Post
Old June 14, 2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Before the NRA can endorse more pro-Second Amendment, non-conservative, non-evangelical Christian politicians, there have to be more pro-Second Amendment, non-conservative, non-evangelical Christian politicians to endorse - and that endorsement can't come at the expense of sound political strategy (like that mentioned in the Reid example above).
Bullseye! About what I've come to expect from Mr. Roberts.

Glenn, too, is spot on about a broader spectrum of Americans realizing that gun rights are important.

I may not be in complete agreement with the NRA at all times (who is ever in complete agreement with anyone else all the time) but I've learned that there is always a method to their madness.

Look at their endorsement of McCain, for example. True, he's for an AWB, and for closing the so-called "gun show loophole," but in the main, he's been supportive of gun rights. OK, if the NRA throws their endorsement to his primary opponent, who (according to my sources in AZ) isn't likely to unseat him, now they have to try to influence a P.O.'d senior senator who regards them as a political enemy. Not a position I'd care to be in, or see the organization I belong to put themselves in.

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. Like it or not, that's the way it works, and the NRA has played their hand very well the vast majority of the time.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries