View Single Post
Old October 5, 2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

WhiteFeather, when I write, I compose everything I want to say offline - that is to say, in a text editor. I write with the view that what I say will be read by tens of thousands of people. I write with the view that my posts will be visible for years. Even if this is not the case, that's how I formulate a response.

Yes, I go over my grammar (but read on!). Yes, I spellcheck what I've written. Yes, I change, edit, delete and rephrase what I write, so that I can convey my ideas in the best possible manner. I also have to take into consideration that we are not speaking face-to-face. Therefore, tone, inflection, volume, facial expressions and basic body language are lost. And loosing that, means I have to try to be more accurate in my written delivery, than I normally would... That means I take a few liberties with basic grammatical construction and some spelling. I also use bolding, underlining and italics either separately or in some other order to convey parts of my writings, that would otherwise be lost, because we are not face-to-face... Though I usually draw the line at different fonts/colors/text sizes, as being immature... OK... It annoys the heck out of me!

To use such as was used in quoted text (news articles and such) is one thing, but if that's your message... Ya done lost me.

Having said all of that, when do such response to tactical scenarios (what ifs) possibly pose a danger, real or imagined? When the posts leave the plane of this reality and become fantasy. All Too Common, if you ask me, and not just on gun boards.

The single biggest problem that I see with many scenarios, is that many who respond, who have never been in, nor are they acquainted with those who have been in, such scenarios. They are using their imaginations and this is where it looses it base in reality. What we see in TV and movies is very rarely the way things actually happen. And it is precisely this mentality that pervades (or is that, invades?) many scenarios.

Ummm... Goes for the topic starter who sets up the scenario in the first place!

Easy to spot, if you've been there and done that.

Page generated in 0.02769 seconds with 8 queries