View Single Post
Old June 21, 2005, 05:56 AM   #11
Jeff22

the Beretta M9/92F

We had the Beretta M9s for the last half of my career in the ANG. I have big hands and long fingers and I LOVE those guns. However, many adult males with average size hands found the grip to be too thick and the reach to the trigger a little bit too long, and it was a HUGE problem for those with smaller hands, females in particular.

Most of the police agencies in my area transitioned to the auto pistol in 1987 to 1990. (I did a bunch of the conversion training as a part time instructor for the local regional police academyl) The agency I am with now bought SIGS. Another local agency went with Smith & Wesson, and the Sheriff's Department had a wide open policy where officers could carry virtually anything that was DA/SA.

For agencies where the officers had a choice and provided their own weapons, the Smith & Wessons were probably the most popular at that time, followed by the Sigs. Personnel with some military affiliation (Guard or Reserve or just off active duty) tended to select the Beretta unless their hand size precluded it. The befuddled and confused bought the Ruger P85 and then couldn't figure out why their guns didn't work.

The Glock didn't become popular around here until about 1994 and after. In the late 1990s many of the local PDs chose to standardize on the Glock and either issue them to personnel or require the Glock as a duty gun and then partially subsidise the cost of purchasing a new gun. My department stayed with Sigs. We just got DAK Sigs at the end of last year.

I've had a Glock 19 since 1992, and I like the Glocks, even with that weird, mushy trigger. In fact, the major thing I don't like about the Glocks is that weird, mushy trigger. And in the last 10 years locally there have been about a dozen accidental discharges caused by officers who weren't paying attention who cranked a round off because they didn't clear the chamber on their Glock before pulling the trigger to release tension on the striker prior to disassembly. (A few of those instances occurred to people who are generally competent who just suffered a bad case of brain fade, but most of those incidents occurred to people who probably shouldn't be operating anything sharper than a rubber ball)

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries