View Single Post
Old January 29, 2023, 03:35 PM   #39
stinkeypete

Although I consider myself a "revolver" guy, a .22 LR target pistol should be a semi-auto. Here is why:

A S&W Model 35 has the 6" barrel you are looking for, and one from the '50s or 60's is what you want. A nice one is about $1600.

You could get a Model 17 Masterpiece new for $1150 or 617 for $915 but... well, I expect you'd feel another $300 for a basic trigger job and tune would be worth it. That's one reason the old ones are sought after.

For that kind of money, you can have a semi-custom Volquartsen Classic. (Walther GSP expert.. $2k will take you to nationals) BUT... but...

Ruger Mark iv target, with models from $400 to $600 at Buds is what you want.
Some may say the Browning Buckmark is their choice.
I prefer the Ruger because there are so many aftermarket trigger group kits you can install yourself for $150 that the Buckmark lacks.
Actually, I prefer the Ruger Mark ii or III series because you can get a nice used one for $300 or a used competition model with ultradot sight for $500 right now on Gunbroker. And drop in a $130 trigger kit but it probably doesn't need it. Although... the mark iv is already drilled and tapped for an optics rail.. so... anyways, I have a cutomized Norinco copy of a Walther target gun that you just can't buy anymore. Target shooting used to be a thing in America!

The accuracy of a cheap Ruger semi-auto runs rings around that of a $1000 revolver. There is simple less wiggle in a blowback design.

Like automatic transmission and manual... use the right tool for the job. Semi auto pistols have only been around for about 120 years... give this new-fangled tech a chance. For .22.... semi auto is the way to go.

Only disadvantage is the semi auto throws the brass into the weeds.

Page generated in 0.04170 seconds with 8 queries