View Single Post
Old September 25, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
1911Tuner, sorry to tell you that over the life of the gun a too light a spring will cause damage. I've see the cracked frames to backup my "opinion"
You probably won't wanna hear this...but here goes.

The cracks at the junction of the rails and impact abutment are the result of thin cross-sections and sharp corners. They're self-limiting and in no way affect the function of the gun...and they're inevitable if you shoot enough...regardless of the spring rate.

They'll even crack if shock buffs are used for all shooting. It'll just take a little longer. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

I have a pair of early Colt 1991A1s that I bought in October '91 and January '92 strictly for beater duty. They're nearly at the 400,000 round mark...collectively...about evenly split. They both cracked in those areas many years and many tens of thousands of rounds ago. The cracks haven't traveled, and the pistols function just fine. I expect they'll be walkin' the walk long after I'm gone.

Page generated in 0.02326 seconds with 8 queries