Thread: Sweaty hands
View Single Post
Old January 19, 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Misssissippi Dave

When I make up a new load for handguns, I load 10 rounds at or near the lowest load shown for the bullet I'm using. I increase .1 grains of powder and load 10 more. I do this until I'm .2 grains form the max level. I seldom find handgun loads any more accurate at the max load so I don't use them. I only fire 5 rounds at a time at a clean spot on my target and have the pistol either in a rest or use something solid to help me keep on target to test the accuracy. Sand bags work pretty well for this. On another spot (I use .75" orange stickies on the back of a target) I shoot the next 5 until all have been shot. Then I check out the target to compare the best groups. I will then try the best of them with the other 5 to compare again on new spots. Most of the time I will get 3 groups that are close and they are normally plus or minus .1 grain from the center. The center load is what I load the next batch of 50 up for. I will shoot all 50 and check the pistol to see how clean it is. This gives me a fairly accurate load and hopefully a clean burning load as well. If it is for a pistol, cycling is also something I look for.

There are probably several other methods people use to determine if their load is good. This one does not use a crony. A crony will help you develope load even better.

Check cases of the rounds you fire often. You might see signs of over pressure before you have reached the hottest loads you have made. If you do see signs of over pressure I suggest you not go further with even hotter loads.

Page generated in 0.03948 seconds with 8 queries