View Single Post
Old November 5, 2011, 03:12 AM   #26
briandg

Okay. South dakota, and you said varmints.

first off, I don't like the 22-250. It's actually not good as a multi use cartridge, although many people disagree. Yes, it will kill prairie dogs, coyotes, hogs, and deer, but it's not optimal for deer or hogs, and it really requires a heavy barrel to wring out all of its accuracy. A sport weight 22-250, in my thoughts, is just a waste of FPS and powder. go 223, or heavy barrel specialty rifle.

South dakota? I'm thinking you mean prairie dogs, coyotes, jackrabbit, maybe bobcat, or other small critters. Maybe you intend to go for an antelope or deer someday.

Leave out the .260. Not right for prairie dogs, and even more than you need for other varmints, when a .243 will do in anything coyote or smaller very successfully. .243 with .75 grain match HP or polymer bullets in an accurate sport barrel will do 1" easily with the right loads, and that is prairie dog accuracy out to 200+ yards with a deer capable gun.

You can use the .243 on deer and antelope, although I advise against it.

So, I'd suggest a .243, as it fulfills all of your 50 pounds or smaller animal targets perfectly, and could do larger game as well, but I still suggest that you get a larger rifle to perform larger game hunting separately. If you go two rifles, well, a .260 would be adequate for smaller deer and pronghorn, and could be used for rodents as well, if you choose. a .223 would do for dogs and rabbits, and either one will knock coyotes over like a truck. you have plenty of usage overlap with those two, and better specialized usage as well.

Page generated in 0.02261 seconds with 8 queries