Thread: 338 Federal
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Rosko Packer

Location: A valley in The Flint Creek Range of The Rockies in Montana
I was given a pretty good supply of 30-06 brass of about every stripe (from factory to all types of military). I know that I can form the 338 fed from 06 (have made a couple just to see), I've been told that my necks will be way too thick. Making a single 338 case this way is a lot of effort. It gives a feeling of accomplishment tho, but one more step may be a bit much. I know that 308 cases are the way to go, but I would like to use my 308 brass to load 308. Can you or someone out there give me one of those great tutorials on squeezing brass this way. I made some 8mm Mauser ammo using 06 and didn't know about the over-thick wall. They were accurate but I only made and shot 20.
The article you mentioned is the one I just read. I have the 335 powder too and am making a "batch" today with it. Lyman's lists 40-44.5g with the 215 bullets I have. I have a Tikka Lite synthetic. These in my opinion are fantastic, but at only 6 and a half pounds or so, and even with the so-called light recoiling 338 fed., when you fire it, you know you fired it. This 338 is new and I have only shot a box of 220g Fusion. It shoots like a Tikka (I have others) which is very good (sub 1").

Last edited by Rosko Packer; October 27, 2010 at 08:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02800 seconds with 8 queries