View Single Post
Old May 15, 2010, 06:42 PM   #12
Sarge

We have gone to twice a year recently; we qualify with duty loads and were having trouble even finding ammo, for awhile there. I understand a lot of agencies are again allowing 'ballistic equivalent' training ammo to get around procurement problems, and we may do that.

However- far more troubling to me is...

Quote:
For the vast majority of the officers, this is the ONLY time they fire their weapons- they don't shoot independently, which I can't understand
and

Quote:
this years course? 20 rounds fired. Total. -Standing.
A good minimum would require yank & blast (either hand) at contact distance, double taps/3 from low ready at 7 yards, and 10 shots from standing at 15 & 25 yards. All under time, every shot scored. You can at least measure proficiency/correct deficiencies with that. My version takes 37 rounds and the standards/ranges are the same for off duty guns. Some people pucker at that, but it is what it is.

You still need some night shooting, moving target, shooting on the move and shoot/don't shoot.

We qualify twice a year, but we shoot a lot more than that. Our range is maybe 3 miles from the station and I try to keep a case or two of cheap ammo on hand. If one of my folks wants to go shoot, I'll shove them a box of ammo, stapler and targets- usually 12x12's with a four-inch bull. Makes them hunker down and work to get hits. If I'm not swamped I'll meet them at the range and we'll iron out whatever difficulties they're having. It's golden "one on one" time and I learn things as an instructor from those sessions, too.

I have the good fortune of having about 90% serious shooters in my outfit; serious folks who are interested in honing their skills- which are pretty good already. The other 10% are working to get there.

Page generated in 0.02761 seconds with 8 queries