Thread: .30 Gibbs Loads
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2002, 02:19 PM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

Cain,

About the only thing I can offer you is some advice, and this is seasoned with my own experience in trying to get modern data for an older cartridge.

My questions revolved around loads for the 30-30 Ackley Imporved. I've yet to come across a modern loading book with this wildcat in it, so this started my journey. P.O. Ackley's handbook listed a few powders which are still being made, and a few that weren't. The one powder I was curious about was HiVel 2. This powder was manufactured by Hercules (now Alliant) but hadn't been in production for quite some time.

My hypothesis was this. If I could somehow plot that powder's burn rate against the group of powders available today - I could make an educated guess at which modern powders most closely matched the old powders profile. This way, I could take those powders and work up a load from there. This proved difficult, as burn rates for obsolete powders aren't always available.

Another thing I tried was to figure out what the case volume was for that case. I then took that figure and tried to locate analogs to that dimention in more modern cartridges. My thoughts there was that if I could find a cartridge with similar dimensions, I might be able to ballpark a load from there.

In the end, I was able to use both methods to some success in finding a safe starting load. I ended up using IMR-3031 powder - which is a good 30-30 powder anyway, and I've managed to come up with a couple of good loads for different bullet weights along the way.

I would caution your to be careful with this process. I would (if it was me) only be playing with a really strong action in the first place. If the rifle is an original, I'd especially be careful, just because.

Good luck!

Unkel Gilbey

Page generated in 0.03777 seconds with 8 queries