View Single Post
Old May 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22

Suppressing a .22

Today is a good example of how useful a .22 Suppressor is. I can legally shoot on my property, but I would prefer to keep a low profile. If I am shooting on my property it is either suppressed, or I am way down in the woods. I have 18 acres, but the house is clear to one side of the property, with the closest house about 100 feet away. So most of the property is all away from the houses (if that makes any sense). Picture a triangle with the house at the point of the triangle.

My eyesight isn't what it was when I was 20, so I decided to equip three of my handguns with optics. All of them needed to be drilled and tapped for scope bases. So, I took them to a gunsmith and got the work done. I got the call this morning that they were ready. One of the guns is a S&W 686 and the gunsmith put a gadget on it to roughly get the scope on target (it's called something like a collimeter or something like that). The other two guns are both Ruger .22 autoloading pistols. One got a scope and the other one got a red dot (C-More) By the time I got home, it was late afternoon and spitting a little rain, so I didn't want to drive out to the range. But, I wanted to play with them.

I thought to myself: the .357 should be on paper but I could get the .22s roughly sighted in also, so that when I do go to the range, I can get them zeroed quickly. Both of these Mk.IIs are threaded, so I screwed on a can and went out to my shed. I opened the double doors on the shed and set a bullet trap about 10 feet outside the door. I sat down on the shed floor, leaned back against the lawn tractor tire and got both of the .22s sighted in for about 20-25 feet. Nobody was the wiser. Again, this was safe and legal; I just don't want to advertise the fact that I am a gun owner.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries