View Single Post
Old April 28, 2001, 02:14 PM   #3
Blue Duck357

I think there might be several factors as to why the 10MM is not what it should or could be.

First, it's not a popular catridge so it's not worth the money for the factories to research and develop "perfect" loads for it. Easier and less expensive to just use a 40 cal. bullet designed for the 40SW (which will expand too quickly) and not profitable enough to redesign the original 10mm rounds which seem to be a bit too tough to expand on humans. Not enough hunters with 10mm to make it worth the research to come up with a really good Deer/Black Bear load. As for MS stopping power I think it's the bullets as mentioned, and the fact that not many LEO's use them. I'm starting a new post on my theory on this "Are LEo shootings distorting M/S data" on the General Handgun Forum.

Second, The damn FBI (lite load). Most companies still way underload the 10mm compared to it's potential, because thats what the FBI wanted, so I suppose they think it's what 10mm shooters want today. The fact is the FBI's gone to the 40 SW and so have all the other shooters who wanted the 10mm lite, yet the facories still push the stuff and when people chrono thier load they think the 10mm is underated.

Third, In regard to hunting popularity I think it's psychological. People think of revolvers as more powerfull and rugged as a hunting tool. A man in the woods with Blued SW 41 magnum seems to fit in, a man in the woods with a 3 day beard in a tree stand with a Glock seems...out of place.

JMHO, Blue Duck

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries