View Single Post
Old April 18, 2011, 03:40 PM   #14
ZVP

Gatafeo,
Great post lots of info!
BTW I got the 36 penetrates heavy clothing from Elmier Keith in his book "Guns of the old West"... Not a made-up story.
I like your interpretation of the .36 it's the same conclusion I have come to believe!
The economy of the .36 is but one of it's selling points but a huge one! It fires with a lot less powder and the balls are sometimes cheaper.Wadsand caps are about the same.
My guns seem to work best with Remington #11's. They have stock nipples on them still.
Accuracy and velocity are good with the .375 balls but I just got some 380's and wouldn't ya know it the Hand Spring broke! I am looking forward to trying the 380's as I seem to have one loose chamber on my London model. I was hoping this would keep all the balls tight.
On the .44's I have 2 Remingtons which like the .454 the best. Accuracy is very good with a 30 gr load of either Goex or Pyrodex fff. I haven't tried Conicals yer in the .44's but I'd like to. I understand that fpe goes way up with a Conical. For just general shooting I prefer the Soft Round Lead Ball as it seems to serve well and loads easily.
Great point on the sight adjustments on the .36! It is a very flat shooting ball and I agree, first find the best groups, then fix the sights. On my London, I only needed to take a little off the Hammer to get nice 15 yard zero's at 10m you just have to hold at the bottom of the 10 ring and you are there!
Black powder revolver shooting is a very hands-on type of shooting which appeals to me as I am able to individually taylor each chamber for consistancy. I charge apowder measure for each chamber as #1 for safetys sake, I am only pouring a small amount of powder into the chamber should an errant ember set it off,. #2 I am able to precisely control an exact amount of powder to the load. I'm probablly going overboard on the safety but I always wait a couple minutes to reload and blow a cap off to clear the chambers.
I'm sure Civil War and indian Fighters were far less cautious but they had to be and needed to reload fast!
For years I shot a .45 Semi-Autos and revolvers and I just poured the ammo thru the guns. Now with my Single Actions I've slowed down and really enjoy each shot (and loading). It's a lot better now! I have always shot single shot rifles so now I have slowed it all down to a relaxing pace!
Thanks for all your help! I'll try to save all the loading daqta you posted.
ZVP

Page generated in 0.02501 seconds with 8 queries