View Single Post
Old January 25, 2020, 01:27 PM   #20
Head Tomcat

Goon, Dave and Hawg,

I spent almost five hours yesterday working on this Uberti 1851 Navy with the Kirst gated conversion cylinder and ended up with....frustration. So I took a break and starting changing out the rear wheel bearings on a motorcycle - and managed to whack my left hand twice with a hammer when drifting them out.

So back to the Uberti...and even more frustration.

Bottom line was the extended hand did not seem to work and achieve hard lockup when the trigger hit full cock. The bolt timing could not be adjusted to get proper drop. At this point I put OEM new parts in...and not much improvement.

I did notice the Kirst cylinder was being pushing fully against the barrel the entire time all this was going on. I then measured Kirst cylinder endshake and found it to be a (to my mind) pretty large .020". The assembly just rattles back and forth. Endshake with the original C&B cylinder is only .009".

Seems that Goon's advice to work on the original cylinder and get that correct is the best way to go as the Kirst conversion may be introducing more variables in this than my current skill level can account for.

Fanning???!!! I thought that was utterly forbidden!

Head Tomcat who is rather dejected

PS: Is it possible the Kirst endshake and constant rubbing against the barrel is too much for an extended hand to address? In other words, even with an extended hand, the distance it is having to move and operate against the ratchet - and also with the cylinder binding on the barrel, there is simply not enough leverage to do the job?

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries