View Single Post
Old March 27, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1
682bear

Interarms Mark X issues

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a decent Mark X 30.06. Upon firing it the first time, I discovered that the primers are backing out of the cases approximately .020. I initially assumed that excessive headspace was the problem, but I borrowed a set of headspace guages and checked it, The headspace is well within limits.

So, I reassembled the gun and took it out to shoot it again. Every shot resulted in a peirced primer, and the accuracy was @ 4 inches at 100 yards. Would peirced primers result in a loss of accuracy?

After I returned home, I removed the firing pin and checked the tip under a magnifying glass. It was almost flat on the end, and appeared to be made that way. it had a sharp shoulder all the way around the tip and just a very small crown. When the bolt is de-cocked, the firing pin protrudes approximately .070.

The ammo I am shooting is my reloads, consisting of Lake City brass loaded with a 168 grain Sierra Matchking bullet and 45 grains of IMR 4064. The primer is a Winchester large rifle primer.

Also, the cases that I have fired were originally trimmed to 2.494, but after firing are now at 2.481.

Does this gun have two seperate problems, one causing the primers to be pushed back and one thats causing the peirced primers, or is it the same issue? I'm leaning toword one problem causing both symptoms...

Can anyone give me any insight on what may be happening here?

Thanks -Bear

Page generated in 0.03897 seconds with 8 queries