View Single Post
Old December 22, 2018, 03:00 AM   #1
ParsonBrowning

combat grip vs. single-hand grip with help

Hello,
I've seen a couple great videos about how to have a good, modern combat grip on a semi-automatic handgun. I'm at a crossroads of what to get really, instinctively used to doing in regards to gripping the gun (well I'm already doing one thing but after a few years away from the range I could re-teach myself if really warranted) --
The way-cool instructors show that, to have the proper 70/30 or 60/40-ish pressure or two-handed grip on the gun, you are supposed to have some of the (I'm right-handed) left hand actually pressed up against the grip on the gun. I thought I had kind of small hands for a guy, but my Walther CCP whose highly ergonomic grip is complained by some to be big enough to have been a double-stack (yet its a single) is still small enough that my whole, right hand wraps around and nestles into it perfectly -- a little too well (it doesn't leave room on the grip for my left hand to touch it).
It makes for a heck of a single-handed gun, but my situation I describe below could well have me needing two-handed accuracy of greater distances than typical close-quarter or muggings (defense in a church hall).
And so for two-handed proficiency, I'll admit what I started out doing was making a one-handed type grip on the gun and then just reached up with my left hand and wrapped it around in a modern combat fashion -- but with one caveat -- I'm not in contact with the gun grip with my left hand at all because my right fingers cover the whole thing.
So here comes my crossroads.
The videos show to have the true 70/30-ish control you should pull back a little with your right fingers to make room on the grip for your left hand some.
This feels fine once they're there, and I could get used to assuming this grip instinctively with lots of practice, but here's a thought --
...if I'm already instinctively doing ok with it "proper" except just not in actual contact with the polymer with my left hand...
--- the million dollar question --> wouldn't it be awkward if I stumbled over something with my eyes on the target, to take my left hand away from a gun that I'm only "mostly" gripping with my right??
If I stumble, I need to wave at someone, something hits my face, or for any reason I take my left hand temporarily off the gun, and I have this now, seemingly now awkward, partial grip on the gun, I'm really not good to go until I either bring my hand back on, or readjust (which no one mentions).
If I have a one-handed grip on the gun and merely assist it with my left wrapped around my right hand instead of contacting the gun, I still have a full, viable, operable grip on the gun if I stumble or for one of countless reasons in a combat scenario need to remove my left hand for a moment. I am still in full control of the gun with one hand without readjusting.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.
-PB
About me:
As a pastor, I'm more likely to have to take down a homicidal murder-suicide agressor at a greater distance (hoping for a clean shot in a church hall) than many folks who would probably only get mugged or home invaded and be at closer range in either case. And so I gave up my gut gun (the 4-barrel derringer Cop .38/.357 the ugly biker-looking android in Bladerunner used) for a Walther CCP that really brings out every ounce of precision in my marksmanship, despite its 3.54" barrel, due to the accuracy of its fixed barrel and perhaps its ergonomics. I can see why they call it one of Walther's "Sniper Pistols" and it helped that the $490 gun was $280 at a retailer closing them out and making room for the, for me, meaninglessly upgraded Model 2 (ok, so you don't have to shove the little tool or one of many random, nearby objects in the back to unlock and field strip the M2). I enjoy the sport of practice shooting and this cool, little gun's milled shape is a bit like a Baby Eagle. Really happy with it. I'm fine with the purportedly "sticky pull" (largely a break-in issue) and longer than average reset, because I got used to keeping double-action revolvers still wile I repeatedly squeezed the trigger, so this is nothing. I feel a little safer than a hair trigger in case debris hits the side of my face and I flinch or something. I think about real-life feel of real-life things because I've played around a lot in my "previous life" and even juvenile war games make you experience real-life things like crap flying in your face or, like described above, stumbling and saving yourself with your left arm and hand, like two or three times in a single, intense wargame. Call me clumsy; I commanded a little respect
God Bless and stay safe.

Last edited by ParsonBrowning; December 22, 2018 at 03:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.03597 seconds with 8 queries