View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Malamute

Quote:
I have been told that going below the published starting load for a Cartridge can cause unsafe pressure. I use the starting load for a reduced load. I love the IMR 4895 150 grain 8x57 Mauser starting load from the Speer Reloading Manual. Cases hold up well, low recoil, plesant report, and still perfect for hunting Deer sized Game.

That is correct. Most reduced loads use a different powder than is used for full power loads. For light last loads I (and most manuals suggest) using a pistol/shotgun powder for lower end to medium velocity loads. For lighter loads with jacketed bullets, I use IMR 4759 powder. It works great for lighter loads, though is not well suited for full power loads generally.

Your lighter loads do what you want, but most that fool with lighte rloads are looking for lighter yet than starting loads. They arent usually used for the same type game as full power loads, but for small game, grouse, close range or indoor practice (yes, some people shoot in their basements or barns), etc. The old Ideal loading manual had loads in many calibers that they termed "cellar loads", very light bullets and loads for shooting in the basement, or close range practice.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page generated in 0.02777 seconds with 8 queries