Thread: Class 3 Permit
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2001, 08:49 PM   #6
Edmund Rowe

I'd go find a Class 3 dealer first

...and ask him about transfers in the local area. This may save a lot of heartache later. If the local Class 3 dealer (note, depending where you live, the "local" dealer might be a ways away) says there haven't been any transfers in your area, that may be a bad sign.

If getting the paperwork signed by the local police chief/sheriff is a novelty in your area, the dealer might want to contact the chief/sheriff first and explain what it's all about.

My local sheriff has signed off on several transfers after running appropriate names through the computer for background checks. That's good. One of the detectives at the office thought silencers were illegal to own period. That's bad. Fortunately he wasn't in the loop for the form 4 signature.

Chances that the form won't be approved: I've never heard of it happening as long as you have no felony background or anything else that would prevent you from legally purchasing a firearm from a dealer (like all those questions on form 4473 you answer).

The paperwork requires a picture attached to the form (2 copies) of yourself.

There are some special circumstances for transfer paperwork but these questions are best answered by your local class 3 dealer.

I thought the process was pretty easy, and easier the second time around as long as I did everything carefully and correctly.

NOTE sometimes state laws prohibit certain types of class 3 weapons beyond what federal law states. For example, some states prohibit suppressors completely.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer. This isn't legal advice. I might be wrong. Ask an expert. yadda yadda yadda

Edmund

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries