View Single Post
Old December 14, 2009, 02:43 PM   #11
ER_STL

First post here. I've lurked occasionally and have joined just to ask this question. :-)

I have the first DVD (Combat Focused Shooting) and I like it quite a bit. It's concise and offers plenty of information for the price that was asked. I've recommended it quite a few times to other shooters.

The one gripe I have though is one I have with most shooting DVDs - it doesn't go into the level of detail I'm looking for when it teaches the two-handed grip. I've heard the "get as much hand on the gun" and "wrap the gun in flesh" comments but neither explain why that is beneficial. Just telling someone where to put their support hand doesn't tell the student what the support hand is supposed to contribute to the grip.

Three years ago I trained for a day under an IPSC shooter. I learned the grip, stance, draw, etc. I've spent most of my shooting time since working with the grip. I've put thousands of rounds through my M&P9 and Glock 19 with it while carefully analyzing the whats and hows. I've directly compared its performance to my old Weaveresque, thumbs-curled-down, boxer-stance type shooting. It has been exhausting. It has taken me years to realize the simple truth that unless the support hand can get adequately behind the gun (as on a 1911 with its rounded grips), it must require friction between it and the gun (or strong hand) in order to stay put. On flat, slippery guns such as the Glock, it's essentially hanging on to the front and side of the strong hand and gun, both of which want to move up and back when the shot breaks. Without some sort of isometric tension, there's no way to keep dry or slippery hands from separating during rapid fire. This of course is why many IPSC shooters recommend Pro Grip and grip-tape. The first obviously doesn't apply to CCW and I've found that grip-tape limits my dress mode (because it tears up clothing).

Rob - how are you accounting for this when you teach the grip? Is a slight push-pull or compression (using the chest) recommended? It doesn't appear from what you show in your video that the support hand is getting anywhere near the backstrap of the gun so friction must be the means by which recoil is transmitted to the support hand.

I hope this question is appropriate for the thread since it offers my feedback. If it doesn't I can communicate through PM.

Eric

Page generated in 0.03714 seconds with 8 queries