View Single Post
Old November 3, 1998, 01:51 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rob and Kodiac-
One of the things you have to take into account in the "rushing attack" drill is that bullets don't immediately stop the fight in many cases and holster to head shot is a tough one with the attacker getting the jump from 20 feet.

If I were take an edged weapons person with skill comparable to yours with the handgun (Harry, Hilton, Kevin McClung or Ernie Emerson come to mind), I'd venture to say that fight might be stopped more quickly by the defender holding the knife than the one holding the gun...it would almost certainly be stopped with greater finality.

I'm not necessarily advocating the use of the knife over the handgun at any range. But it does have it's advantages at very close range or when the attacker is already on you; also makes some sense in crowded rooms.
Rich

btw: Walt once demonstrated an alternative to the 20 foot rush which even works for those with normal reaction times: As you draw the weapon and the attacker closes, side step to strong side, turn and take a bead on the back of his (passing) head. What you choose to do at that point is you call.

Page generated in 0.03510 seconds with 8 queries