View Single Post
Old June 3, 2009, 06:27 PM   #29
WW2

gut shot failure to fire

I was watching the Outdoor Channel and one of the shooting programs (I don't remember which one. Possibly Best Defense or Shooting USA?) had an instructor demonstrate what "Gut Shots" using a 1911 will not work.

Basically, he racked the slide and fired one round in to the embankment to prove that the gun was loaded and capable of firing. Then he went to the cardboard target and jambed his 1911 in to the target as you would in a FoF Gut Shot. He pulled the trigger multiple times and only got "click, click, click". Then he pulled the gun back about an inch from the target and BANG!

The point was that if you press the muzzle of your semi-auto pistol in to a target, it will likely slightly push the slide back and disengage the firing mechanizimI was watching the Outdoor Channel and one of the shooting programs (I don't remember which one; Possibly Best Defense or Shooting USA) had an instructor demonstrate that "Gut Shots" using a 1911 will not work.

Basically, he racked the slide and fired one round in to the embankment to prove that the gun was loaded and capable of firing. Then he went to the cardboard target and jammed his 1911 in to the target as you would in a FoF Gut Shot. He pulled the trigger multiple times and only got "click, click, and click". Then he pulled the gun back about an inch from the target and BANG!

The point was that if you press the muzzle of your semi-auto pistol in to a target, it will likely slightly push the slide back and disengage the firing mechanism. He then went on to explain that you need to keep your gun clear of the target and yourself so that the slide will not catch on your clothing and so you do not shoot yourself.

Be aware, in a FoF situation where a gut shot is called for you will need space (even if only 1 millimeter) between your muzzle and the target. Also keep space between your side and the gun otherwise you and your clothing could be entangled in the cycling slide.

Page generated in 0.03356 seconds with 8 queries