View Single Post
Old August 31, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I would suggest paying attention to what the manufacturer recommends for their rifle.

I shoot my reloads through my match rifle.
SAI specifically say no reloads.
j/k

I understand what your saying.

SAI's legal disclaimer. This disclaimer has changed several times over the years. My 1982 owners manual is much different than this current one.

Quote:
The M1A is designed and built to specifications to shoot standard factory military 7.62 NATO ammunition. The specifications for standard military ammunition include harder primers to withstand the slight indentation from the firing pin when the bolt chambers a cartridge. This slight indentation is normal. The use of civilian ammunition with more sensitive primers or handloads with commercial primers and/or improperly seated primers increase the risk of primer detonation when the bolt slams forward. This unexpected "slam fire" can occur even if the trigger is not being pulled and if the safety is on. Use of military specification ammunition will help avoid this. Everyshooter should use extreme caution when loading this or any other firearm. See page 15 for instructions on proper loading to help avoid a "slam fire". Also see enclosed article on “Slam Fire” written by Wayne Faatz.

4. Use only recently made high quality, original military or factory-manufactured ammunition of 7.62 caliber. Old ammunition may deteriorate from age causing it to be dangerous. Do not use cartridges that are dirty, wet, corroded, bent or damaged.
Any .308 or 7.62 FMJ in the 150-175 gr weight range should be fine in your M1A. Surplus 7.62, particular the recent German DAG is good shooting ammo. There are several companies offering match grade .308 specifically for the M1A and .308 barreled M1's.

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries