View Single Post
Old July 22, 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

As above, back in the 1960's this was a very common modification to the Colt 1917.

Back then, the US Post Office sold off a huge number of 1917's that had been given to them by the Army in the 1930's during the rash of post office robberies.
Most of them had sat unused in post masters safes or desks.

Also, at the same time, the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) sold large numbers of 1917 Colt's and S&W revolvers through the NRA.
As I recall the price was around $15.00 to $20.00.

As was usual, since the guns were plentiful and cheap, a lot got customized, and snubby versions were popular.
I remember one thing that got the chopping craze really going was an article in a gun magazine by a Miami narcotics detective who chopped one that looked very much like yours and used it on the job.
He wrote about how big suspects eyes got and how they stopped making trouble after getting a look down that big barrel.

I've never seen or read anything about the military chopping 1917 revolvers for anyone.
Pilots or OSS needing snubby revolvers were simply bought Colt Detective Special revolvers.
Pilots were issued 4" barreled Colt Commando, or S&W Victory model revolvers, not snubbies.

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries