View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Madcap_Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
Unlicensed dealers are already breaking the law, making this fundamentally a law enforcement problem, NOT the result of any so-called loophole.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with every rhetorical position that the NRA takes either, but given that elements in the press already blame the organization for gun crime in general, Columbine, Sandy Hook, Trayvon Martin, and possibly global climate change*, can you really blame the NRA for failing to embark on a quixotic campaign to stamp out this problem?
Well, you have to keep in mind that for most of the people shrilling about a "gun show loophole," the real loophole is the existence of the Second Amendment, which stubbornly refuses to disappear.

But if viewed strictly in terms of "Is it possible to buy a gun from someone selling guns off a table at a gun show without a background check," then yes, there is a loophole.

Not that it matters, since as you point out the loophole is one of enforcement, not actual statutory law.

As to the NRA, I let my membership lapse due to their quixotic campaign to sell me MREs and gold coins, so I reckon if they have time for that, they have time for just about anything.

Page generated in 0.03436 seconds with 8 queries