Thread: czech vz 52
View Single Post
Old November 8, 2011, 01:51 PM   #11
chack

7.62x45 is a cartridge that the Czecks only used from 1952-1957 It was the round the VZ58 was originally chambered for when it was being developed. The Czechs abandoned the cartridge under pressure from the Soviets and redesigned the VZ 52 for 7.62x39 and renamed it the VZ 52/57.

Geneva conventions had nothing to do with the decision, it was part of a standardization program for the Warsaw Pact.

7.62x45 can be made from .220 swift, 7.5 carcano, 7.35 carcano, and 6.5 schoenaur mannlicher. The chamber insert conversions work OK as long as you don't let the gun get too hot, and with the ammo scarcity issue that's probably not likely. The long freebore before the bullet contacts the leade doesn't help accuracy either.

The typical issues with them are:

1) horribly pitted bores
2) cracked stocks
3) missing/ broken handguards
4) damaged butplates
5) wobbily/loose bayonets

#1 there isn't much you can do about it. I have several VZ 52s that I'd like to find a replacement barrel in 7.62x39, but I haven't had any luck. I imagine that there is enough interest to set up a group buy for a run or 10 or 20 barrels in 7.62x39 made from blanks if they could be had for $150 or so.

#2 alot of folks have modified M14 stocks to make a replacement stock. I made one from an SKS stock years ago that worked pretty well. Again, there is enough demand that if someone were to make a run of 10 stocks at $150 he'd likely sell them in a month or so after the word got out.

#3 I intend to replace the wood on one of my project rifle handguards eventually, but the metal would be harder to do. I made a replacement handguard from a 12ga heatshield that worked well and looked pretty good, but it was am obvious replacement

#4 used buttplates are available, but expensive. They are cupped instead of flat so are not easily fabricated. Century made a run of black plastic buttplates for the guns they coated with truck bed liner and they look lousy, but are effective.

#5 I'm still trying to fabricated the replacement pins to tighten up a couple of my bayonets

Page generated in 0.03473 seconds with 8 queries