View Single Post
Old September 26, 2011, 02:24 AM   #18
Jimro

Quote:
Like I said, spend an extra $20 and get the best your cartridges can do. Don't settle for velocity over accuracy or accuracy over velocity.

Sure, I'd give up some speed for a reasonable accuracy improvement, but not 15+% of the potential JUST for the sake of sticking with a single powder. There IS another powder that will give you most of that speed and most/all of the accuracy.

I'll grant you, if I was punching paper, at closer ranges, velocity would be completely irrelevant. But, if you're shooting long range, wind matters and velocity matters in the wind. Plus, I'd be VERY surprised if one powder would provide the most accurate load among all those cartridges. Beyond surprised. I'd need substantial evidence.
Huh, you know those guys who shoot service AR-15s at 600 yards and keep it in the X ring? Accuracy wins matches, not velocity. Sierras accuracy load is never the max velocity load. Velocity does make the wind matter a little less, but it doesn't replace knowing how to read the wind.

There is no bullet so fast that it can replace skill.

So yes, you can follow peetzakillas method of reloading and end up with dedicated primers and powder for each load you make and make ammo that is faster and more accurate than factory ammo. However I think the approach of reloading for accuracy with a versatile powder makes a lot of sense for someone who wants to maximize accuracy, economy, and simplicity.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.03837 seconds with 8 queries