View Single Post
Old November 12, 2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

When I clean my C&Bs, I always remove the nipples from the cylinder to clean them, then spray the threads with Balistol to lube them and prevent seizing in the cylinder. Popping a cap on each chamber before loading is to dry up any moisture or oil in the nipple or chamber so it does not foul the powder. A nipple pick won't do that.

If, on the other hand, your nipples and chambers are left dry after cleaning - or in between shooting sessions without cleaning - popping a cap would not be necessary to ensure they were clear and a nipple pick would be useful in case a flash hole was obstructed.

I don't use, and have never had to use, a nipple pick on my C&B revolvers. IMNSHO, it could enlarge the flash hole and exacerbate the problem with caps coming off and causing a jam.

I do use a nipple pick on my single shot pistols and side lock muzzleloading rifles. The nipples onlyt come out of them for cleaning once or twice a year.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; November 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries