View Single Post
Old January 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15
HSMITH

Mapwd, I don't like moly for reasons I won't go into in this thread.......

Before I forget, what brand bullet are you buying locally? I am about 50 miles east of you and have tried most if not all the local bullets...

I have used Lee Liquid Alox in the past to help lower leading with poor commercial cast bullets. It works pretty well with most loads and most powders. It is fairly messy to reload bullets with it unless you apply it right. A search on my username and liquid alox should turn up application info, if not shoot me an email or PM.

In reality the problem you run into in 45 acp most of the time isn't bullets that are too soft, you run into hard bullets with poor lube and that is where the leading comes from. 45 struggles to make enough pressure for the hard lubes to flow, the blue crayon stuff talked about in this thread is a good example.

What I mean by flow is that pressure in the barrel makes its way into the lube groove on the bullet. This pressure forces the lube to flow out of the groove in between the bullet and the barrel. Heat is also a small component but it is nearly all pressure that gets the lube in between the bullet and the bore where it is needed. The lube coats the barrel when it works right, and the lead vaporized from the base sits on top/in the lube to be pushed out with the next round.

For some reason Tite-Group, Universal and a couple other powders will show leading when a simple switch to another powder will eliminate it. I don't fully understand the mechanism for this, but time and again it has been apparent. These two powders also smoke more with cast bullets than powders that don't show the leading.

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries