View Single Post
Old September 16, 2021, 12:06 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Is your Mossberg 500 fitted with a Raptor Grip like the Mossberg 590 Shockwave?
No, it didn't have that exact grip. The gun I had (more than 30 years ago) predated the tactical "kits" and vertical pistol grips. It was a standard sporting shotgun that had been cut down to an 18" barrel (by someone skilled, as they shortened the vent rib and reattached the bead), and I think then later had the buttstock cut down, possibly by a different owner.

It had the standard sporting forend, without the little strappy thing the Shockwave has to keep your hand on the gun. The pistol grip was not a vertical one, it was the standard stock's grip with the rest of the stock removed. The upper curve followed the line of the pistol grip, all the way down to the end. VERY similar to what is on the Shockwave, minus the bulge at the bottom that the Shockwave has.

The sloping pistol grip does not slam into your hand the way a vertical pistol grip does, or a buttplate into your shoulder. But this does not mean the recoil isn't there, it just means you feel it differently. There is NO WAY a 5-6lb "short" shotgun has less recoil than a full sized heavier gun shooting the same ammo. NO WAY.

Feeling the recoil (and whether or not it hurts) is a more individual thing, and what bothers some folks doesn't bother others at all.

I didn't keep the gun long, it simply had no use for me, and had drawbacks that a riot size pump gun (with stock) didn't have.

The Shockwave and other guns in that general class might have an advantage against a human adversary, where the psychological effect of the gun MAY be a factor. But for defense against animal attacks, I don't think that holds true.

Bears (or mad dogs, or the uber rare big cat) are simply not impressed by how cool your gun looks or what it says on the barrel. The sound of the pump gun being racked is rarely a deterrent. And they usually don't get impressed by misses. Only hits matter, and only hits in the right places are effective stoppers. The stockless shotgun is simply more difficult to use accurately (not saying it can't be learned, but really, how many people will do that??), which, in my book goes a long way to negating the advantages of its compact size. But, that's just me.

Page generated in 0.02512 seconds with 8 queries