View Single Post
Old November 24, 2017, 02:06 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Congratulations!! You have a rather rare bird. Though cataloged in .308 and .243, every one of the dozen or so Mohawks I've seen over the years has been .243, so a Mohawk in .308 is a pretty rare beast.

Original model 600s in .308 are relatively common, as 600s go, but Mohawks in .308 are scarce.

OK, if you are looking for a rear peep sight, the one(s) you should be looking for is a Lyman, or a Redfield (pretty sure). I am sure there is a Lyman that was made for that gun, not so sure about Redfield, but I think so.

Sorry I can't tell you which Lyman peep, I was never that interested in peep sights, but the rifle is drilled and tapped for one. Two screws on the left side of the rear of the receiver. You probably will have to remove a little of the stock wood to mount the sight, but the mounting screws are there. My Mohawk .243 has those screws, about half covered by the stock.

I had good results with (old) Weaver 1.5, 2.5, and even 3x scopes with the POST /crosswire reticle, in the Adirondack woods. Very fast to use, though not the optical quality of the most modern scopes. And, still vulnerable to rain or snow, of course. Always used regular crosshairs for .243, but then it wasn't a deep woods rifle.

The 600 series are great rifles, but they have a few quirks. Be especially careful with reassembly if you take it out of the stock. The sheet metal magazine box can "pop" down from its fully seated position easily, and if it does, and you don't realize it, you can bend the plastic floorplate when you tighten the action screws.

I've got 600s in .222Rem .243 Win (Mohawk), 6mm Rem, .308Win and .350 Rem Mag. Great guns, not benchrest accurate but game getting accurate. Barrels heat up pretty quick so 5 shot bench groups are often disappointing, compared to bigger, heavier guns. First 2-3 shots are good enough, I've always found.

The short barrel gives up a bit of speed, but not enough to matter to anything you might shoot, and they carry very well in thick country.

My first deer rifle was a Model 600 in .308, a gift from my father at age 16, and I still have it, and it means a lot to me, because of the memories it carries. As long as I have it, part of him is still with me...

Page generated in 0.03434 seconds with 8 queries