View Single Post
Old March 18, 2009, 06:10 AM   #3
bswiv

You're not the only one worked up about a first "real" turkey hunt. After 35 years in the woods Saturday will be the first dedicated attempt I've made at them.

Actually went to the woods with the call on Monday afternoon just to mess about, not hunt just scout. Louann and I ( She'll actually be doing the shooting should we get so lucky this weekend. ) just walked down a couple of the roads in the swamp where we hunt. Stoped every couple of hundred yards and scratched at the slate call a couple of times and then sat and listened for a few minutes.

About the 4th time we stoped a big old hen came flying in and landed on a tree about 35 yards out. For the next 15 or 20 minutes she and I had a running conversation. A couple of times it looked like she was ready to fly down but truth is I have no real idea what I'm doing with the call so I couldn't close the deal.

I figure a tom will be much tougher so I'v no unreasonable expectation of success but if it gets near as exciting as just calling in a old hen then it'll be worth all the effort. And if Louann gets to pull the trigger.............you'll see pictures.

Page generated in 0.02921 seconds with 8 queries