View Single Post
Old March 31, 2021, 09:17 AM   #14
MarkCO

I have a Weatherby MkV Ultralight in .338-06, while I did not pay anywhere near retail, it is a $2K or so rifle. The optic on it is a Burris FFII 3-9 Nickel...a $200 optic. Why, weight, aesthetics, functionality. For hunting Elk, the 6.2 pound rig fits the bill. In over a decade, still have not found an optic that would be better on it.

My main PRS rifle, a .260Rem full custom R700 has a Burris XTRII 4-20 on it, $1100 optic that significantly less than the rifle it sits on. It fits the intent and purpose of the rifle really well and spending $3K to match the value of the rifle would give me no benefit.

Ruger Predator in .243Win, a $450 rifle, wears the same XTRII optic, so over 2 times the cost of the rifle. But I use it as a trainer and shoot it out to 1K. A $500 optic won't cut it.

Match the equipment to the task without hurting yourself financially. If spending more on a gun or an optic brings you joy, I won't talk you out of it. But guns folks, especially 3Gun and Clay sports shooters tend to enjoy encouraging folks to over-spend.

Enjoy your Wednesday...I'll be mounting a new optic to a new rifle.

Page generated in 0.04199 seconds with 8 queries