View Single Post
Old May 7, 2020, 12:09 PM   #55
Sharkbite

Quote:
Press check is to open the action slightly (without ejecting the cartridge) to visually check whether the chamber is loaded.
A perfect description. It does not have to be done by pushing on the barrel bushing (IE “pressing”). There are a number of techniques that allow you to open the gun enough to SEE if there is a round chambered or not. It can even be done from the rear of the slide using the standard cocking serrations.

The point is to verify the status of the gun WITHOUT changing that status. It would be silly to lock the slide back to see if the gun is loaded IF i want a loaded gun. All i am wanting is to VERIFY its loaded.

Now, if i wanted to make sure a gun was UNLOADED, sure lock the slide back.

As an example, when i was working for the S.O. I would leave my duty gun in my locker at end of shift and put on my “off duty” gun. When i came to work, i’d get dressed and before i holstered my duty gun, i would “chamber check” it. Why? Because my LIFE, my partners LIFE and the LIVES of the citizens i served were at stake.

I still chamber check before i holster my CCW gun first time in the morning...why? Because it doesnt cost anything and now i KNOW, with 100% certainty i have a round in the chamber and a full mag i the gun. I dont leave life and death type things to chance.

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries