View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
adamc

More drivel from Connecticut's leadership

**None of the graphics showed up ***
but the smiling Politicians faces made me sick...

About Joe
| How Can I Help?
| Issues
| Press
| Schedule A Meeting

March 14, 2013

Dear Mr. zzzzz,
On Saturday, 26 cyclists from Connecticut began the 400 mile journey from Newtown to Washington, D.C. Team 26, as they were called, made their journey to highlight the need for common sense gun safety legislation in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting earlier this year. On Tuesday, joined by cyclists from the Virginia Tech cycling team, Team 26 completed its journey as sun broke through the clouds above Washington.
To see a gallery of pictures from Team 26’s arrival and their press conference on the National Mall, head over to my Facebook page.

Rep. Courtney speaks with riders from Team 26 after they completed their 400-mile journey from Newtown to the U.S. Capitol.
A renewed call for action
With a team composed of Connecticut residents, a Newtown police officer and a Vietnam veteran, Team 26 arrived in Washington with a message from many, including the families of Sandy Hook victims. Team 26 founder Monte Frank spoke on behalf of the group:
"We have been motivated all along by 26 angels who’ve been pushing us along," said Frank, joined Tuesday by his young daughter, Sarah, whose third grade teacher was killed in the Sandy Hook shooting. "If those bills are enacted, they will go a long way toward removing dangerous military style weapons from our streets and ensuring that the weapons in people’s possessions are in the right people’s possession."
What Congress is doing
Immediately after the Sandy Hook shooting, I called for hearings on the Education and the Workforce Committee to examine school safety. I’m pleased to announce that the first such hearing already took place and that it included a look at mental health screening and treatment in schools—a critical component of keeping our students and faculty safe.
I have also cosponsored legislation to strengthen our criminal background check system, enhance federal research on firearm safety, and impose verification and reporting requirements on the online purchase of ammunition. I also cosponsored the Mental Health First Act, which authorizes grants for mental health first aid training programs, providing communities with resources to respond to signs of mental illness and increase access to mental health services for young people.
I applaud Team 26 for keeping this important issue front and center. As this debate moves forward, I am committed to protecting the Second Amendment rights of responsible, law-abiding gun owners. I also believe that there are many areas where we can find agreement on common sense approaches to improving gun safety in our country. Since the shootings in Newtown, I have been contacted by many people on this issue—including gun owners who support ways to improve gun safety for our communities.
As always, if you have any questions about this email, or if my office can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,

Joe Courtney
Member of Congress

Please Note: this e-newsletter is coming from an unmonitored account. Please do not reply to this email address. To reply to our office, click here to use the contact form on our website.

Contact Information
Washington, DC Office
2348 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2076
Fax: (202) 225-4977 Norwich District Headquarters
55 Main Street, Suite 250
Norwich, CT 06360
Phone: (860) 886-0139
Fax: (860) 886-2974 Enfield Office
77 Hazard Ave, Unit J
Enfield, CT 06082