View Single Post
Old January 26, 2001, 11:52 PM   #5
Mouse Gun

First off I'd say find a club if you have not found one already that offers a good smallbore program and that will help alot. Depends on his age but if it were my son(12)I'd start him with the 1903, this rifle will be competitive at his level. In the remote possibility he does not stick with it or its time to upgrade, I don't see you having a hard time selling it for a good price. The 1907(54 action) is the next step and that will double the 1903(64 action) price. If you want a good answer to your question I would call and talk with Carl Joos of Champion Shooters Supply(800-821-GUNS) and he'll get you squared away, he has forgotten more about smallbore that most of us know. The Joos family are regular folks and all are long time smallbore shooters. They are involved in OSU's program(his son shot for OSU)along with other schools and colleges nationwide.

As far as his progression, it depends on his commitment to the craft(you get out of competitive shooting what you put into it). First it must be fun then you would surprized how hard kids will push themselves with a little competition. Finding a coach is as close as your nearest club. Experienced shooters from our clubs spend time with juniors every weekend sharing their knowledge, some of the best coaches you will find. This was the main reason I got into competitive shooting so I could pass it on to my sons and others. Good luck with your son I hope you all enjoy it half as much as I do.

Brian

Page generated in 0.03583 seconds with 8 queries