View Single Post
Old April 24, 2010, 08:55 PM   #22
LaserSpot

Quote:
You're missing the point. Gun control in Britain, Canada, etc, hasn't lowered crime. The best that can said, is that it's changed the tools used in crime. The more draconian the gun (and now knife) laws have increased in Britain, the higher the violent crime rate has risen.
kodiakbeer, I'm not missing the point. You are correct, but it's irrelevant. The crime rate will always be too high; if banning guns doesn't lower the crime rate, they will argue that more must be done to reduce gun smuggling, or that poverty is the problem, or that we need stab-proof knives. If the crime rate goes down without banning guns, sociological factor are the reason. You can never win this argument, even if you're right; it doesn't matter how little crime there is, reducing crime will always be the justification for infringing on civil liberties.

I can understand the desire to reassure people who are afraid of guns and also afraid of crime, but by arguing these points, you are just reinforcing the linkage. We do not need to fall into this trap. The crime rate has nothing to do with the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, or any of our civil liberties. I'll say it again, our RKBA is a crucial and constitutionally protected right; this Right is NOT dependent on whether or not it lowers the crime rate.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries